Pages

Sunday, August 7, 2011

Granola

I've been making some homemade granola.  I'm saving packaging and trips to the store, and of course it saves money too (yea).
My prices:
Brown Sugar 2lbs $1.49
Syrup 27oz $2.98
Oil 96 T $2.69          
Oats 15 C $1.99     
Raisins 3 C $1.69        

With my recipe that comes to $1.12 for a 6 serving batch.  As opposed to $3.27 for an 8 serving package.

  • Mix 1/4 C packed brown sugar, 3 1/2 C Oats, and 1/4 t salt.
  • Mix 2 T vegetable oil (I use canola) and 1/4 C syrup.
  • Combine mixtures, spread on lightly greased cookie sheet, bake at 300 degrees for 20 minutes, stirring halfway through.
  • After cooled,  put in airtight container with 1/2 C raisins.
We use it so fast that I double the recipe and store in an empty oatmeal container, and we still use it up before it gets stale.

1 comment:

Nicole@Thrifty Decorating said...

Great idea! I love homemade granola and haven't made it in ages! I'm going to pin this to my Pinterest board and post it on my FB page tonight! Thanks for linking to Thrifty Thursday! :)