Pages

Friday, September 16, 2011

Homemade Bagels

I'm still (slowly) working on cardigans.  In fact I cut out I started the second this morning, but haven't done enough to post yet.  I'd be working on it now, but I'd have to go through my daughters' room to get my sewing machine and I'm not sure if the 1 year old is asleep yet.

I made bagels yesterday!  I'd thought about it before, but I thought it would be too hard.  Then I found a recipe at Diaries of a Whimsical Wife.  It really wasn't that hard after all, but I forgot that Fahrenheit isn't the universal measurement for temperature, and tried to cook my bagels at 220 degrees Fahrenheit.  I thought it was kind of low, but I'd never baked something that was boiled first.  I got to thinking about where the Whimsical Wife lives (Australia) halfway through baking, and realized I should probably be using a hotter oven.  I reset my oven for 350 when I flipped them over and after that did another 5 minutes on the first side.  They turned out okay...not too doughy, but I toast them before I eat them anyway.

Here are mine.  Oh, and half of my flour was whole white wheat.

No comments: